1.23.2006

uh boy, a meme...

Luckily, I've only ever been tagged twice, first by Coturnix and now Upyernoz. Interestingly, they were the two that were most persuasive in convincing me to get that darned site meter last month. The one I spend all day watching. Especially when Atrios sends his linkalicious minions community this way. Those two got me hooked, and here I am with a meme from Noz. Mark one up for peer pressure:

1. Go into your archives.
2. Find your 23rd post.
3. Post the fifth sentence (or closest to it).
4. Post the text of the sentence in your blog along with these instructions.
5. Tag five other people to do the same thing.

Did that, did that, did that....OK, let's see:

Here's the post, and the fifth sentence was: "Of the 8.7 million officially classified as unemployed, 23.7 percent or 2 million, have been out of work longer than six months.

Wow! Didn't think I was that erudite, what with all the zombie-this and shamblor-that going on around here these days, did you? Well, I'm not. It was a quote from the Marketwatch website on that particular day.

Now for the least desirable part of memes, tagging others. Last time around I didn't tag anyone else in part because once I tag someone they'll come right back to tag me when the next meme arrives, and then it'll expand all across the internets and memes will grow like, like, well:
The mathematics of uncontrolled growth are frightening. A single cell of the bacterium E. coli would, under ideal circumstances, divide every twenty minutes. That is not particularly disturbing until you think about it, but the fact is that bacteria multiply geometrically: one becomes two, two become four, four become eight, and so on. In this way it can be shown that in a single day, one cell of E. coli could produce a super-colony equal in size and weight to the entire planet Earth.
--Michael Crichton, The Andromeda Strain
Yikes! Not to worry, it comes from Mr. " It's not easy to cut through a human head with a hacksaw," and "Whenever you hear the consensus of scientists agrees on something or other, reach for your wallet, because you're being had" and "I am certain there is too much certainty in the world." Oh well.

Since Koufax "Most Deserving of Wider Recognition" nominees just came out, I decided to restrict myself to those I share the list with, that I link to, and that, with the exception of one or two are unlikely to participate (to break the chain, to avoid E. coli, hacksaws, scientists, and ultimately certainty):

Scrutiny Hooligans
Bouphonia
King of Zembla
Science and Politics
Night Bird's Fountain